(This Is An Important MASTERCLASS Lesson – It Is A Liberating & Insightful Education – Please Take Time To Carefully READ THROUGH! It will RICHLY BLESS & ENLIGHTEN you)
During JESUS physical existence here on earth, the word CHURCH was used only ONCE as a direct quotation from him (going by the KJV translation)! It can be found in Mathew 16:18. He did not use the word to refer to a geographically located building that is always packed with gathering of people or a denomination-named after, or by, an individual.
The word church was subsequently used 110 times in the epistles (according to KJV). In all of these times, the use of the word either applied to the body of Christ JESUS believers in an entire city, in a house, or in different cities. In other words, it was used as the church in Lagos, the church in Hyderabad, the church in Columbus, etc. All locations of church should strive to have working relationships across city & regional lines.
In all of the usage in the book of Acts, before the church multiplied to include gentiles, all believers were referred to, collectively, as church. In Revelations 2 & 3, the word church was used to address the collective people in 7 separately named CITIES. It is necessary to note that a single angel was addressed alongside each church, per city. That should indicate that each body of believer per city ought to all be summarized under one leadership/umbrella. If the purpose of Church is one same Faith/Purpose and not divided, denominated or dissenting objectives, then there should be no reason to split one body of people, under same Christ, against the other.
Church was defined as mount Sion or Zion in the book of Hebrews 12:22. Zion was not used in the New Testament. Instead, the alternative Sion was used 7 times in Matthew 21:5, John 12:15, Romans 9:33, Romans 11:26, Hebrews 12:22, 1 Peter 2:6 and Revelation 14:1
In none of the scriptures was church used as a means to aggressively promote oneself or elevate another individual to become popularly seen as representing God above the name of JESUS Christ who should be clearly placed PREEMINENTLY over all. Numerous mention & use of JESUS’ name should NOT be a means to achieve personal ends. Nobody in the Bible was sent to become so popular for his or her name to replace JESUS in signifying access to God. There is nothing like God of Ayo Babalola, God of Benson Idahosa, God of Kenneth Hagin, God of Copeland, God of Katherine Khulman, God of Apostle Peter, God of Apostle Paul, or God of any other living human being for that matter, etc.
The name of JESUS is sufficient. Any other name used in prayers other than Christ JESUS is an idol of human worship that has been overrated in hearts of his or her followers.
“Salvation exists in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved.” Acts 4:12 Berean Study Bible
“Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him THE NAME WHICH IS ABOVE EVERY NAME, 10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, 11 and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.” Philippians 2:9-11(NKJV)
In Hebrews 12:22, the Church of Christ JESUS is described as mount Sion. It is a general assembly of Holy Spirit-born people, who gather to look up to ONLY JESUS, who through his blood shed at Calvary is worshiped on the account that He, by grace, has become our advocate, intercessor, mediator and Savior. There is no self effort that qualifies us before God. The Judge of all, who is a Consuming fire is waiting to consume every human with fire, whether born again or not. Only those approved after God’s judgment will survive.
“But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels, To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect, And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.” Hebrews 12:22.
Only those that faithfully & truly remain under the covering of JESUS can escape HIM as a consuming fire.
Here is what Church is NOT!
1. CHURCH IS NOT GOVERNMENT, it should build people with heart to care for organizing the well-being of society. She should lead & guide people into, and those already in, government.
2. CHURCH IS NOT AN INDIVIDUAL’S PERSONAL BUSINESS, she should be led by servants who put interest of congregation above self, not master/slave boss leaders who are essentially in it to fleece people. That does not mean that ministers’ material needs should not be met as needed by church.
3. CHURCH IS NOT A MINISTER’S MEAL TICKET, NEITHER IS IT A COMMERCIAL BANK. It is a commonwealth that cares for and takes care of welfare of all who can not obtain same otherwise. It is not to be besieged for resources that is otherwise available or otherwise obtainable.
4. CHURCH IS NOT HOSPITAL, it should provide means to take care of health if there is no provision otherwise. It should be a spiritual healing center.
5. CHURCH IS NOT A SCIENCE LABORATORY, it should correct scientist if or when they go too far to oppose God or Godliness.
6. CHURCH IS NOT A REPLACEMENT FOR REGULAR, USUAL OR NATURAL GOD-INSTITUTED LIFE PROCESSES OR PRINCIPLES, she is in place to meet more of SUPERnatural needs. It does not replace natural. It overrides natural ONLY when God deems it necessary. There will be no food and crops without engaging natural principles & processes of farming that works by proper understanding of seasons, sowing & harvests. It does not replace diligence and labors to produce finished goods for economic consumption.
7. CHURCH IS NOT CULT-LOYALTY TO A CONGREGATIONAL LEADER WHETHER SEASONED OR NOT, it is not for any person’s hero-worship, it should submit to, respect & care for leaders who humbly project Christ As ONLY SAVIOR & ensuring people’s affections remain INDIVIDUALLY/personally committed to the unseen JESUS Christ, the son of the living God.
DEFINITIONS OF CHURCH
We can derive more definitions of church by looking at the functions of Zion in the Old Testament. Secondly, Isaiah 2 also described Church as the Mountain of the Lord.
IT IS SION/ZION
“But upon mount Zion shall be deliverance, and there shall be holiness; and the house of Jacob shall possess their possessions. 18 And the house of Jacob shall be a fire, and the house of Joseph a flame, and the house of Esau for stubble, and they shall kindle in them, and devour them; and there shall not be any remaining of the house of Esau; for the Lord hath spoken it. 19 And they of the south shall possess the mount of Esau; and they of the plain the Philistines: and they shall possess the fields of Ephraim, and the fields of Samaria: and Benjamin shall possess Gilead. 20 And the captivity of this host of the children of Israel shall possess that of the Canaanites, even unto Zarephath; and the captivity of Jerusalem, which is in Sepharad, shall possess the cities of the south. 21 And saviours shall come up on mount Zion to judge the mount of Esau; and the kingdom shall be the Lord’s.” Obadiah 17-21 King James Version (KJV)
Summary of Zion, Sion, or Church Characteristics Derived from Obadiah 17-21 are below:
- DELIVERANCE – Healing & setting people free from powers of darkness by engaging spiritual powers available in Christ JESUS.
- HOLINESS – A Set-Apart sanctified life distinguishable from typical, regular basic-instinct worldly human nature.
- POSSESSING POSSESSIONS – A Faith-Propelled Victory-Enforcing Mind-Renewed Circumstance-Changing Peculiar-People that are empowered to enjoy faith, family & financial victories in a world where good things are skewed to work for those who dip lives in sin and operate in the devil’s camp ways.
- FIRE & FLAMES – Raising Light-shining, Holy Spirit-led Spiritually alive, NOT LUKEWARM but active people manifesting Christlikeness & reflecting Godliness.
- SAVIORS (verse 21) – Holy Spirit Inspired Community/Sphere of Influence Supernatural-Solution-Provider They church-trained & deploying matured believers & disciples who are adequately trained as deliverers who in turn influence, evangelize & disciple their communities and societies. They advance practical spiritual & physical solutions that awes society.
IT IS MOUNTAIN OF THE LORD
From Isaiah 2: we add more definitions to what the church functions in society should be.
The Mountain of the Lord
“This is what Isaiah son of Amoz saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem: 2 In the last days the mountain of the Lord’s temple will be established as the highest of the mountains; it will be exalted above the hills, and all nations will stream to it. 3 Many peoples will come and say, “Come, let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the temple of the God of Jacob. He will teach us his ways, so that we may walk in his paths.”The law will go out from Zion, the word of the Lord from Jerusalem.4 He will judge between the nations and will settle disputes for many peoples. They will beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. 5 Come, descendants of Jacob, let us walk in the light of the Lord.” Isaiah 2:1-6 New International Version (NIV)
Summary Of A Christ-Fragrance Zion/Sion/Church Derived from Isaiah 2:1-6
- UPRIGHT – DOMINEERING – STANDARD-SETTING – Highest of the mountains. The highest unshakable standard that all nations recognize and want to “stream to it.”
- ATTRACTIVE – Many Peoples shall find it desirable to encourage one another to “go up to the Mountain of the Lord” for teachings, directions on how they “may walk in the Lord’s path.”
- AUTHORITATIVE/COMMANDING – The law, will of God, word or God, highest principles for living, emanate from ZionJudge over nations. Settles disputes between governments of nations so that international wars seize. What governments are unable to achieve is superiorly administered by Church.
- LIGHTHOUSES – Lights that walk in the light of the Lord, not in the darkness already in the world. They provide Godly directions to spiritually confused people.
I encourage people to purge themselves from craftiness & filthiness that has redefined church into 2020 religion of “churching church-goers.” I call that churchianity. We all need to get back into humbly accepting Bible-ordained Church that is SOLELY rooted & grounded in FAITH in the LORD JESUS Christ.
I am available to help those who may have questions. I can be reached inbox here on FB Messenger or by email to email@example.com. May God bless you more & MORE!
My name is Olanrewaju Elujoba. You can support us @ Worldwide WORD MISSIONS, a Great Commission Initiative that engages non-profit publishing, broadcasting, training & missionary networking to advance the Kingdom of our LORD JESUS CHRIST across the globe. You can partner with & support us by giving some money through cashapp $wwmissions or by using a donate button on our website http://www.worldwidewordmissions.org.
I also have helpful books and resources. Click on following & find out more about us @ http://www.worldwidewordmissions.org